The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
The Costa Daurada is the area of Catalunya to the south west of Barcelona, and offers some of the best single-pitch cragging in Spain. If you're seeking prime sport climbing for those long, dark winter days then this is definitely the place for you. It's not a place for beginners, but somewhere that intermediate and advanced climbers are guarenteed to find their next real challenge.
A variety of routes here are well bolted and you never seem to find much traffic as there are so many routes to choose from. In fact, the quantity of single and two pitch climbing may be equalled elsewhere in Spain, but the concentration of quality routes is arguably higher in the limestone mountains of Sierra de Prades than anywhere else. Costa Durada is a great place to meet and socilise with other climbers.
Weather & Climate
The climate on the Costa Daurada, as in most of Spain, is mild with hot summers, cool winters and rainfall varying greatly during the rainy months of September, October and May. The peak of the summer is often too hot to comfortably rock climb.
You are assured a warm welcome at our self-catering apartments, positioned within close proximity of local amenities. Climbing areas are also located within five minutes' drive from your accommodation. Alternatively, various camping options are popular with many clients who enjoy the chance to meet up with fellow climbers off the rock-face.
When to Go
The summer months are smply too hot here, so October to the end of April is the best time to come. Even though the winter months are mostly sunny, there can be rainy patches - so remember to bring waterproof layers just in case.
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011
- "Great holiday all round! I was concerned about going on my own but had the time of my life! Bring on 2012..."Lilly Alders
30th September 2011
- "David was an excellent instructor, and made each day enjoyable and informative - and the little treat at the end of each day was a real bonus!"Marcus Tailor
13th September 2011
- "All the food throughout the week was brilliant, the cliffs and the routes were sometimes challenging but always rewarding and overall it was a fantastic week for everyone involved (and I have a killer sun tan!)."David Mudge
18th August 2011
- "Thoroughly enjoyed the course and I felt I learnt a lot and my climbing skills have improved. Dave is an amazing instructor and has really taught me so much."Amy Cockle
23rd July 2011