The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
This bouldering paradise is set in a remote and tranquil forest near the town of Albarracin, Teruel, Spain. The delightful town, with walls and towers dating from early Muslim times, a 16th century cathedral and medieval galleried houses, has rightly earned the honour of an international award for historical preservation.
The bouldering quality is world class: new, fresh and vast. This relatively unknown area has impressed all who visit for it's beauty, charm and variety of boulders. This has been said to be the next best thing to Font and offers a wide range of bouldering problems for all grades.
Weather & Climate
Albarracin has the great advantage of offering year-round bouldering. At 900 metres above sea level, the air is cooler than other, much warmer, lower-climbing regions in Spain.
Here we have self-catering apartments or some lovely bed and breakfast options depending on your preferences. Basic self-catering 'climbing bunkhouses' are also a possibility, if you want to be right on the climbing region's doorstep. There's even the option to camp for those on a lower budget.
You will be based in Albarracin, a small historic Spanish town with a fantastic amount of history and charm. It offers a variety of bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets.
Look below for upcoming Albarracin holidays and courses.
When to Go
September - May (Trips can run in June, July and August, although the weather is typically very hot during these months.)
Long weekends (3 nights): Friday - Monday inclusive
- " I would say Rock and Sun is excellent. Many thanks to all for a top week,"Jon
4th May 2013
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011
- "Great holiday all round! I was concerned about going on my own but had the time of my life! Bring on 2012..."Lilly Alders
30th September 2011
- "David was an excellent instructor, and made each day enjoyable and informative - and the little treat at the end of each day was a real bonus!"Marcus Tailor
13th September 2011
- "All the food throughout the week was brilliant, the cliffs and the routes were sometimes challenging but always rewarding and overall it was a fantastic week for everyone involved (and I have a killer sun tan!)."David Mudge
18th August 2011