https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Private Rock Climbing Instruction, Coaching and Guiding
Available all year round, Rock & Sun's bespoke Guiding Service offers tailored day trips, as an ideal start to your holiday or maybe to climb that route you've always dreamed of.
Experience something new or give yourself a challenge with the safety of an experienced and qualified Rock & Sun Guide/Instructor.
The Rock Climbing Holiday could include...
Single Pitch Instruction and Coaching
A great way to improve your skills and techniques with a Rock & Sun Instructor, for a safer and more pleasurable continuation to your climbing career.
Anything is possible. From toproping to learning how to lead sport routes or lead trad routes. From video assisted performance coaching which will improve your climbing technique to doing a two-day self rescue course.
All you need to do is get in touch and let us know what you'd like to do.
Multi-pitch Guiding / Instruction
Climb your dream route or experience top quality multi-pitch climbing. In the Costa Blanca (Spain) three of the most favourite multi-pitch routes are the Penon de Ifach, Mascarat Gorge and the Puig Campana. In Thailand those are Humanality and Ao Nang Tower.
The Penon de Ifach (1,100 feet /332m) is the most striking landmark in the whole of the Costa Blanca. It attracts every climber's eye, and those who have attempted routes here will know that the climbing does not disappoint. The huge orange South Face of the Penon is riddled with caves, overhangs and groove systems. It offers a variety of lower-grade challenges between 7 and 10 pitches in length.
The towering walls of the Mascarat Gorge provide some fine, long routes in a weird and exciting setting. It is an impressive gash that slices through the coastal road routes between Benidorm and Calpe. From the old bridge one can ascend the classic Llobert/Bertomeu route climbed in 7 or 8 pitches, followed by an airy traverse to reach the descent path back to the start.
The Puig Campana is the impressive mountain which rises 4,639 feet/1,406m above the town of Finestrat. Along with the Penon de Ifach, this mountain has been a focus of climbing in the Costa Blanca since the 1960s. Puig Campana is home to some superb and important routes which will provide memorable days of climbing for those into long, traditionally protected climbs. The Espolon Central is a beautiful 14 pitch alpine day. While not technically difficult, it calls for good route finding skills, slick rope work and quick smooth climbing for a long period. The traverse off is an adventure in itself!
Humanality is a classic must-do multi-pitch route that starts right from Ton Sai beach. Its six pitches offer amazing, original, 3D climbing. Without giving too much away about the challenge you will face yourself with near the top, it is guaranteed to be an unforgettable climbing experience!
Ao Nang Tower is the sea stack in between Ao Nang and Ton Sai/Railay. Step onto the rock straight from the longtail boat to start climbing. This 3-pitch route (6b, 6b+, 6c) is a real stunner and is radically exposed, with all styles of climbing from steep 3D climbing to vertical techy crimping. The top pitch - opened by Rock and Sun instructor Trevor Massiah - has the best climbing and positions. Abseil straight back into the boat.
Walking, Ridge Scrambles, and Canyon Descents
Experience a tailored day out with your guide, exploring dramatic Moorish forts and mule trails, dramatic valley walks and historical sites.
The Barranco del Infierno Gorge is located in the beautiful Vall de Laguart. This dry gorge offers a descent of endless excitement. Normally dry, no running water, there are many large pots scoured out by the raging flash floods which power through during periods of heavy rain. If these pots are full of water, your guide will amaze you with his rope tricks to keep you dry.
The Bernia Ridge is visible from nearly all points on the Costa Blanca. The most impressive section of this ridge is the gently undulating 2km section that extends seaward from the summit of the Bernia (1126m) and has become a beacon for climbers and serious scramblers. The Bernia Ridge offers a classic alpine day with scrambling, technical climbing, abseiling and traversing from the East to West summits with stunning views.
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
If booking online less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "Thanks for an great couple of days climbing some awesome climbs! I had a great time climbing with Sergio! Amazing 2 days -hopefully I'll get time later in the year to do some more climbing with yourselves! Thank you for sorting it at such short notice."Paul H.
2nd March 2017
- "I am so happy with my climbing experience. Justin was perfect. The best climbing ever. I will for sure come back to Rock and Sun and i will recommend you to other people. (Private Guiding, Costa Blanca)"Marianne L.
1st March 2017
- "We had such a fantastic trip! Trev and Sergio were absolutely brilliant. They knew exactly when each crag would be in the shade and where the good lunch spots were. All this in addition to being amazing coaches. They even knew how to help Luke and Russell stay on target - which is no small feat. We'll be booking with you guys again for sure. :) Thanks so much! (Private Guiding, Costa Blanca)"Lauren K.
10th October 2016
- "My week of climbing in Calpe, Spain was amazing. My accommodations, private instruction and quality of climbing routes were perfect. Trevor, Desiree and Sergi made my climbing holiday a dream come true, and I highly recommend Rock & Sun to anyone seeking a truly magnificent climbing holiday. (Private Guiding, Costa Blanca)"James F.
29th July 2016
- "Trevor was great and my daughter had a super fun day. We amended our plan a bit to stay closer to Bristol due to weather which I think was a smart move. I was very happy with the level of instruction and competence. You will likely see us again. (Private Guiding, UK)"Amber S.
13th June 2016
- "This was one of the best week´s climbing I have had thanks to Trevor´s expertise and planning. We did 29 pitches over 5 days, the pinnacle being an 8 pitch ascent of the Penon. Trevor was a wonderful guide and climbing companion and taught this old dog (75) quite a few new climbing tricks. (Private guiding, Costa Blanca)"Shane C.
15th April 2016
- "Great day climbing outdoors! Fantastic! (Private guiding, Costa Blanca) "Harry C.
9th April 2016
- "I had a great experience with great instruction and a really flexible booking process. Thank you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Anna G.
4th November 2015
- "I had a really great day today. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for such a good experience. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Daniel F.
26th August 2015
- "Our group had a fantastic weekend with Justin as our instructor. He was able to gauge our abilities and preferences quickly and plan our days accordingly. We learned a lot; leading easier sport routes and toproping more challenging and longer routes. Justin was patient, friendly and highly professional throughout. I'd love to do another course with him in the future. (Private Guiding - Wye Valley)"Rachel C.
19th August 2015