https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Private Rock Climbing Instruction, Coaching and Guiding
Available all year round, Rock & Sun's bespoke Guiding Service offers tailored courses, day trips, weekend trips or holidays as an ideal start to becoming an independent and safe climber or maybe to climb that route you've always dreamed of. We primarily offer private guiding in the UK, Costa Blanca and Thailand, but private guiding is also available in our other locations.
Experience something new or give yourself a challenge with the safety of an experienced and qualified Rock & Sun Guide/Instructor.
Private Guiding could include...
Single Pitch Instruction and Coaching
A great way to improve your skills and techniques with a Rock & Sun Instructor, for a safer and more pleasurable continuation to your climbing career.
Anything is possible. From toproping to learning how to lead sport routes or lead trad routes. From video assisted performance coaching which will improve your climbing technique to doing a two-day self rescue course.
All you need to do is get in touch and let us know what you'd like to do.
Multi-pitch Guiding / Instruction
Climb your dream route or experience top quality multi-pitch climbing. In the Costa Blanca (Spain) three of the most favourite multi-pitch routes are the Penon de Ifach, Mascarat Gorge and the Puig Campana. In Thailand those are Humanality and Ao Nang Tower.
The Penon de Ifach (1,100 feet /332m) is the most striking landmark in the whole of the Costa Blanca. It attracts every climber's eye, and those who have attempted routes here will know that the climbing does not disappoint. The huge orange South Face of the Penon is riddled with caves, overhangs and groove systems. It offers a variety of lower-grade challenges between 7 and 10 pitches in length.
The towering walls of the Mascarat Gorge provide some fine, long routes in a weird and exciting setting. It is an impressive gash that slices through the coastal road routes between Benidorm and Calpe. From the old bridge one can ascend the classic Llobert/Bertomeu route climbed in 7 or 8 pitches, followed by an airy traverse to reach the descent path back to the start.
The Puig Campana is the impressive mountain which rises 4,639 feet/1,406m above the town of Finestrat. Along with the Penon de Ifach, this mountain has been a focus of climbing in the Costa Blanca since the 1960s. Puig Campana is home to some superb and important routes which will provide memorable days of climbing for those into long, traditionally protected climbs. The Espolon Central is a beautiful 14 pitch alpine day. While not technically difficult, it calls for good route finding skills, slick rope work and quick smooth climbing for a long period. The traverse off is an adventure in itself!
Humanality is a classic must-do multi-pitch route that starts right from Ton Sai beach. Its six pitches offer amazing, original, 3D climbing. Without giving too much away about the challenge you will face yourself with near the top, it is guaranteed to be an unforgettable climbing experience!
Ao Nang Tower is the sea stack in between Ao Nang and Ton Sai/Railay. Step onto the rock straight from the longtail boat to start climbing. This 3-pitch route (6b, 6b+, 6c) is a real stunner and is radically exposed, with all styles of climbing from steep 3D climbing to vertical techy crimping. The top pitch - opened by Rock and Sun instructor Trevor Massiah - has the best climbing and positions. Abseil straight back into the boat.
Walking, Ridge Scrambles, and Canyon Descents
Experience a tailored day out with your guide, exploring dramatic Moorish forts and mule trails, dramatic valley walks and historical sites.
The Barranco del Infierno Gorge is located in the beautiful Vall de Laguart. This dry gorge offers a descent of endless excitement. Normally dry, no running water, there are many large pots scoured out by the raging flash floods which power through during periods of heavy rain. If these pots are full of water, your guide will amaze you with his rope tricks to keep you dry.
The Bernia Ridge is visible from nearly all points on the Costa Blanca. The most impressive section of this ridge is the gently undulating 2km section that extends seaward from the summit of the Bernia (1126m) and has become a beacon for climbers and serious scramblers. The Bernia Ridge offers a classic alpine day with scrambling, technical climbing, abseiling and traversing from the East to West summits with stunning views.
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
If booking online less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "Sam and Amber were excellent coaches, and I had a great time with them. Both were reeeeally nice, smart, pleasant company, and I felt that they really wanted to make my trip a great one and took care of me better than could have been expected. Unfortunate"Sini N.
21st March 2017
- "Thank you very much for the great time I had last week: the organisation, the accommodation, and the climbing were absolute fantastic. I'm already planning another climbing holiday with Rock & Sun. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Costa Blanca)"Luigi S.
6th March 2017
- "Thanks for an great couple of days climbing some awesome climbs! I had a great time climbing with Sergio! Amazing 2 days -hopefully I'll get time later in the year to do some more climbing with yourselves! Thank you for sorting it at such short notice."Paul H.
2nd March 2017
- "Best climbing ever, most beautiful places and top class instructors. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Thailand)"Ben M.
22nd February 2017
- "An amazing holiday/Journey through Thailand with Rock and Sun, the climbing is world class, Lao Liang Is A touch of paradise, the Island life is perfect. Sleeping on the beach and waking up to some epic climbing is just what you need after working hard in"Ben A.
17th January 2017
- "Great climbing holiday across the festive period. Nige and Fran were very helpful and friendly at the villa, and their friends visiting for New Year's holidays also very much contributed to the festive and warm atmosphere. Villa is in an excellent locatio"Mauro F.
9th January 2017
- "Excellent holiday. The island part of the holiday was really something special and a unique experience. The choice of climbing was excellent, not spending too much time on the obvious and overcrowded/noisy crags. Also really enjoyed the company of Trevor "Heath D.
14th December 2016
- "Everyone was very friendly and helpful but Sergio was a brilliant teacher and thanks to him I learnt so much. I will definitely be coming again in the new year! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"James P.
11th December 2016
- "Good accommodation where the stove was always lit on our return from climbing. Guides (Stu and Sergio) were great and geared advice to your level. Sergio seemed to put in an extra effort and kept climbing until sunset as we missed half a day due to rain t"William N.
5th December 2016
- "The villa was immaculate. Sergio was a superb instructor and I took away plenty of tips and exercises to work on at home to keep on improving my climbing. (Performance Coaching Level 3, Costa Blanca)"Vicky D.
28th November 2016