The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
The incomparable beauty of The Gower Peninsula received international acclaim when an image of Three Cliffs Bay was voted the best coastal view in Europe. If, one clear night, you're fortunate to be at the campsite where the award-winning shot was taken, come sunset you'll endorse that vote.
The pinnacle of the Gower, with a great pub (incredible view!) and sea-stack cliff just off the end of it, is Worms Head. Nearby, the splendour of Rhossili Bay's fine, sweeping sands is also indisputable. All Gower climbing is sea cliff - and somehow unique... as you belay stood on smooth sand and top-out onto grassy hillsides. There are many fine trad routes from VDiffs to the upper Extremes. If trad isn't your thing then there are even cliffs dedicated to sport climbing! The crags are mostly in relaxed and scenic positions which are positively covered in three star routes - fabulous memories are to be gathered here.
The Gower also offers a fine spectrum of climbing for experienced and novice boulderers alike. Kennelgarth Wall at Dinas offers some great safe problems rewarding strength and subtle technique. The Trench at Ogmore is unique - grit shapes without friction. The Gower is a 'mine' of easier problems - and some hard ones - with the additional attractions of swimming and jumping at high tide.
Look below for upcoming Gower holidays and courses.
- "Best climbing instruction I've ever had. Extremely clear and engaging."Mr P Thompson
8th June 2013
- "big thank you for organising the holiday for us. I had a fantastic time, had a lovely group and a super guide"M Theisen
18th May 2013
- "This was an extremely handy course for me to have done, covering all the areas I wanted."G Higginson
5th May 2013
- " I would say Rock and Sun is excellent. Many thanks to all for a top week,"Jon
4th May 2013
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011