We are happy to share what we've learnt from booking flights all over the world on a regular basis. First of all, we advise to use skyscanner.com. This website not only compares flights from different airlines, it also shows a bar graph in which you can compare the cost of the flights on differen...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "I had a really enjoyable trip to Albarracin. It was my first time bouldering outdoors. I'd like to especially thank Chris our guide, as he was really friendly, approachable and knowledgable. It was a lovely trip and I would consider booking with Rock and "Danielle L.
26th May 2016
- "Kalymnos with Trevor and Desiree totally exceeded all expectations! I knew it was going to be a great trip, but I never imagined that I would learn and grow so much as a climber in the week we spent together. Planning for both Costa Blanca and Thailand wi"Tamara S.
17th May 2016
- "Second time going with Trevor and Desiree and again learned a lot, had great craic and an overall amazing experience! In terms of the organization everything went very smooth as usual thanks to Lesley! (Sport Climbing Holiday, Kalymnos)"Jelle L.
16th May 2016
- "Gorgeous place. Lots of choice of routes, lovely weather although just a little crowded. Accommodation perfect and great company. The instructor, Alun, was sound and gave some good tips plus he was an amazing chef. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Orpierre)"Kellie D.
15th May 2016
- "We thoroughly enjoyed our multi-pitch climbing holiday. Sergio was an excellent guide, proving friendly technical instruction and great local knowledge. Would definitely recommend! (Intro Multi Pitch, Costa Blanca)"John de L.
14th May 2016
- "We would like to say a big thank you for this awesome week! We will, for sure, continue practicing and enjoying such good routes! Thanks again for everything."Marine M.
13th May 2016
- "Thanks for a brilliant week. I had a fantastic time and really loved the area and all the climbing we did. I am completely psyched to do more and have been out twice this week already! (Sport Climbing Holiday, Orpierre)"Claire M.
12th May 2016
- "It was a brilliant weekend. The staff at Rock and Sun were very helpful with the booking process, identifying which course was suitable for me, and answering all my questions. The instructor was very good, and catered the instruction to the ability and co"Samantha L.
12th May 2016
- "Really enjoyable weekend and I will definitely be a regular customer! With a mix of abilities in our group, Will made sure that everyone was catered for and was available for everyone. I struggled at times due to side affects from medication, but I was ab"Julie G.
10th May 2016
- "We greatly enjoyed our time in Calpe and had a superb time climbing with Sergio. We could not have asked for a better guide. He was very professional and knowledgeable and incredibly patient! We were so pleased to have managed our first multi-pitch and ma"Chara de L.
9th May 2016