published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Justin was great. Me and the kids really enjoyed our day and are planning another one soon! (Private guiding - UK)"Tom S.
3rd September 2015
- "Trevor and Dees provided the best instruction - I loved the whole trip and am looking forward to my next trip. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Sarah C.
2nd September 2015
- "Thank you for our lovely week. We crushed and rocked our way up those rocks, learnt loads and had far more fun than two middle-aged women should! We are going to start saving for Thailand 2016, and hopefully something before that. A big THANK YOU from us "Sarah R.
29th August 2015
- "I had a really great day today. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for such a good experience. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Daniel F.
26th August 2015
- "Trevor and Desiree were fantastic instructors and good fun. I learnt so much about my climbing. I had a great trip - looking forward to booking another one soon! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Robbie N.
24th August 2015
- "A big thanks to Desirée and Trevor for an absolutely amazing week climbing in Calpe. Great days, profound conversation and totally "Carling" instruction. I learnt so much from leading, straying into the 6's and pushing boundaries, I feel a better climber"Rachel O.
23rd August 2015
- "Our group had a fantastic weekend with Justin as our instructor. He was able to gauge our abilities and preferences quickly and plan our days accordingly. We learned a lot; leading easier sport routes and toproping more challenging and longer routes. Just"Rachel C.
19th August 2015
- "Gilly & I have just spent the last 2 days in Pembroke being taught invaluable cliff rescue techniques by our good friend Trevor Massiah. Trev will be running these courses several times a year in Pembroke. Let's face it, most of us wouldn't have the faint"Charlie W.
7th August 2015
- "Tried to think of constructive criticism but struggled. Trevor and Desiree are very competent instructors, and were good company during my stay. Had a great time, very worth while trip! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Euan M.
24th July 2015
- "An excellent holiday. The instruction was safe and detailed. Dees and Trevor took good care of me and I have never done so much climbing in a week before. The pool was a welcome relief after a hard session at the crag. The videos were really useful and it"Caroline H.
13th July 2015