published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "I enjoyed every bit of the climbing holiday! Lesley was very helpful with the booking process, and also arranged an alternative pick-up location for me. The climbing in Costa Blanca was simply great, and we were spoiled with lots of different crags and ne"Gaute T.
24th November 2015
- "Had a great time!! Had loads of fun, climbed a lot and learned even more. (Long Weekend - Costa Blanca)"Pieter R.
23rd November 2015
- "A really enjoyable trip. The guides were incredibly knowledgeable and patient. (Long Weekend - Costa Blanca)"Harriet S.
20th November 2015
- "We really enjoyed our week in Calpe - just one day of rain but otherwise blue skies and warm sunshine, just what we were after in early November! Trevor and Dees tailored the climbing to suit our needs perfectly, giving great tips on technique and helping"Kate H.
15th November 2015
- "I had a great experience with great instruction and a really flexible booking process. Thank you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Anna G.
4th November 2015
- "Thank you for a great holiday. You guys were good company and worked so hard to get us all on the rock and climbing great routes in beautiful places. The additional coaching with Hazel was outstanding so thank you for giving us the opportunity to benefit "Joy O.
30th October 2015
- "The accommodation was really excellent, I had an entire apartment to myself which was great. The only thing that let it down a bit was there was no wifi. I would have paid extra for it if required, but there wasn't the option. But overall I had a great ti"Lynda H.
27th October 2015
- "Fantastic, Desiree and Paul were fun to be around and always positive. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Kyle G.
26th October 2015
- "Thanks everyone, had a great time. Hopefully see you soon for some more climbing. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Alex B.
25th October 2015
- "Thank you all. I had a super (!) awesome time and definitely want to do more climbing. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Lauren W.
25th October 2015