published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Awesome holiday. Trev and Dees were great guides, giving us helpful pointers. I really felt I learnt to become a better climber which was the main goal. They also really looked after us off the rocks, taking us to some great restaurants and giving us a fe"Patrick & Daimon D.
6th February 2016
- "A perfect holiday in Thailand with you guys. Wonderful climbing, wonderful people. Thank you so much Trev and Dees (and Kiera!). (Sport climbing holiday - Thailand)"Kine H.
3rd February 2016
- "What a tremendous experience! Everything worked out so well - the climbing was wonderful and challenging, and I learned quite a bit. Dees and Trev are terrific. The week was filled with ah ha moments, not all comfortable, but that's sometimes the best way"Deb F.
23rd January 2016
- "Trev and Dees were amazing instructors. I learnt so much in a week, especially about technique and movement. The Climbing was fun, well-varied and well-catered to my own climbing experience. I always felt very safe and will definitely be coming back for m"Antony N.
18th January 2016
- "I was a beginner on the outdoors climbing & struggled with most of the 3+ routes. I also had a fear of heights. If it wasn't for my instructor's coaching I would not have made it to the top once. Sergi's natural flair for teaching, coaching & his enthusia"Jennifer F.
8th January 2016
- "Sergi was a brilliant coach and guide - he really couldn't have been better - really patient, lots of information really well taught, stayed late on several days with us and such a nice guy - really fantastic and he made the trip for us."Richard H.
7th January 2016
- "Booking process: really user friendly and clear and Lesley was efficient. Transfers: I knew I had a wait but 2 others missed a flight and I was waiting for 3 hours at the airport. Everything to do with Climbing was way over my expectations. Amazing locati"Gina M.
7th January 2016
- "I would like to point out that our climbing instructor Sergio was the best instructor we could wish for!! He was very knowledgable, enthusiasted, conscienscious, humorous and patient. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Rainer B.
6th January 2016
- "Cant think of anything to mention, Both Trevor and Desiree were amazing and I really enjoyed my time in Thailand!!"Jelle L.
5th January 2016
- "Thanks again for an amazing trip with you all. It was probably one of the best and most different trips of my life - so happy we went and booked it! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Thailand)"Susanna F.
2nd January 2016