https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "The villa was immaculate. Sergio was a superb instructor and I took away plenty of tips and exercises to work on at home to keep on improving my climbing. (Performance Coaching Level 3, Costa Blanca)"Vicky D.
28th November 2016
- "Fran and Nige were fantastic and the villa was beautiful. A suggestion could be to provide clients with takeaway menus or chargeable alcohol in the mini bar. The villa is so cosy that it is hard sometimes to go out for food! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa "Rushmi K.
26th November 2016
- "Got exactly what I wanted as well as a nice break in a stunning valley. Now I have something to work on with the climbing and intend to come back soon. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Gary P.
22nd November 2016
- "Brilliant, patient and encouraging instructor (Sergio), welcoming, friendly and warm villa hosts (Nige and Fran). Beautiful surroundings, great climbing locations and delicious food! Loved loved loved it!!!! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Solvita V.
22nd November 2016
- "It was a great holiday. Fran and Sergio were friendly and helpful. The house was roomy and tranquil. Sergio is a great climber and very knowledgeable. He was very patient and provided solid constructive feedback to improve my technique. I didn't know what"Allison G.
21st November 2016
- "Loved the new villa, much more rural feel. Sergio as always excellent. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Charlotte G.
13th November 2016
- "Overall holiday was fantastic, Thank you for a lovely experience for me and my girls. The only gripe was that we had the same instructor all week, (even though Dees was lovely) it would have been nice to mix that up a bit so that we could benefit from dif"Tahaira A.
26th October 2016
- "Sam and Amber were fantastic guides. It was two days with rain, but we went inside to climb one of the days so I could get some expertise tips even there. Saturday and Sunday was sunny and really good with many hours of bouldering and really good advice a"Mathias Z.
20th October 2016
- "Kalymnos was a wonderful holiday venue. I'm so grateful for the expert coaching that will get my outdoor climbing back on a path to efficiency. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Kalymnos)"Rick R.
18th October 2016
- "Trevor did a great job. We wanted to wait with giving feedback until we had a chance to try our "home-crags" to see if we improved... and we did, easily 2-3 grades! Many thanks! (Performance Coaching, Costa Blanca)"Maren S.
17th October 2016