written by: Sol Fernandez - UpRaw A few days ago at my local indoor Climbing wall the Westway (http://sports.westway.org) which sometimes doubles up as a second home, someone shouted out: "Sol, you're Climbing like a girl!". Amazing! I had just been awarded the ultimate compliment. You see, I am...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "All the lads had a fantastic day out, so much so we are talking about organising another one very soon. As well as challenging ourselves we had great fun too. Would highly recommend this to others. (Taster Day - Peak District)"Dan O.
22nd June 2015
- "George was fantastic. His experience shone through and he was very formative and helpful. (Taster Day - Peak District)"John S.
22nd June 2015
- "It certainly was good value! I can’t believe how much climbing I managed to do over the weekend. Both Trevor and Desiree were amazing, they were extremely welcoming and generous with their time, equipment and food. I really was looked after by both of t"Lydia W.
16th June 2015
- "What an amazing vacation it was! I climbed incredible routes, made new friends, and had the best guides in Trevor Massiah and Desirée Verbeek. I can't wait for my next Rock and Sun adventure! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Robin R.
24th May 2015
- "Excellent instruction and local knowledge with a very friendly relaxed atmosphere. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Heath D.
20th May 2015
- "A thoroughly enjoyable holiday, thanks to the careful planning and thought that went into it from Trevor and Dees, and of course their excellent guidance. And because Lesley is so efficient and responsive, it was completely hassle-free and non-stressful. "Caroline F.
18th May 2015
- "Trev and Desiree are great guides! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Stewart R.
8th May 2015
- "Sergi was a great guide, he adapted well to our needs. The villa was lovely and everything was organised efficiently with no hassles. Overall an excellent trip. (Long Weekend Climbing - Costa Blanca)"Aleeza J.
5th May 2015
- "It was awesome to spend a week with Jude listening to her words of wisdom and advice and having the opportunity to watch her climb. I will take many things away with me to work on both mentally and physically. Really enjoyed the holiday and the climbing i"Vicky A.
29th April 2015
- "Very enjoyable holiday. Good range of climbing grades and quality rock and bolting. The accommodation was spacious, clean and comfortable. Jude was absolutely excellent and her gentle encouragement and infectious enthusiasm really made me push myself more"Ian M.
29th April 2015