Rock & Sun trip #5 I believe This time was slightly different. A structured weeklong course purely on performance coaching. Working on choosing a route, analysing from the ground and then actually climbing it as efficiently as possible. I initially contacted Trev for help on a trip to Thai...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "The whole weekend was super fun with lots of great climbing and tips on safety through to climbing techniques and even down what to look for in a pair of good quality climbing shoes. Trev and Desiree were exuded warmth and looked after every aspect of our"Estelle P.
21st June 2016
- "The course was good but quite expensive for our budget. We're keen to go on more courses but probably won't because of price. The second site was much better. If we had gone back to the first place in the second day we would've liked it a lot less. We rea"Evelina M.
20th June 2016
- "Our instructor Sergi was fantastic. Extremely knowledgeable, patient and good fun. Would love to climb with Sergi and Bati again! Accommodation felt a bit isolated from the main restaurant and shopping area. Next time I'd prefer to stay in a hotel or apar"Lauren S.
16th June 2016
- "Excellent course, loved every minute of it! Can't wait to book on the next one! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Toby T.
14th June 2016
- "Trevor was great and my daughter had a super fun day. We amended our plan a bit to stay closer to Bristol due to weather which I think was a smart move. I was very happy with the level of instruction and competence. You will likely see us again. (Private"Amber S.
13th June 2016
- "Perfect climbing week in Spain, although we were clients it really felt like I was climbing with a bunch of good mates. Thank you rock and sun, I'll be seeing you again. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Costa Blanca)"Ben M.
11th June 2016
- "Trevor was a great instructor for the technical parts and also a coach for the climbing technique. We both really appreciated the day and the flexibility shown to run the course at our pace, ensure we picked up everything, give us feedback and genuinely h"Randall L.
2nd June 2016
- "I had a really enjoyable trip to Albarracin. It was my first time bouldering outdoors. I'd like to especially thank Chris our guide, as he was really friendly, approachable and knowledgable. It was a lovely trip and I would consider booking with Rock and "Danielle L.
26th May 2016
- "Kalymnos with Trevor and Desiree totally exceeded all expectations! I knew it was going to be a great trip, but I never imagined that I would learn and grow so much as a climber in the week we spent together. Planning for both Costa Blanca and Thailand wi"Tamara S.
17th May 2016
- "Second time going with Trevor and Desiree and again learned a lot, had great craic and an overall amazing experience! In terms of the organization everything went very smooth as usual thanks to Lesley! (Sport Climbing Holiday, Kalymnos)"Jelle L.
16th May 2016