Rock and Sun have just launched all new hill and mountain skills courses for 2014. Check them out on the website here. http://www.rockandsun.com/hill-and-mountain/Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "My third trip with Rock and Sun and still can't be faulted! Already trying to decide which trip to do next, see you again soon!"N. Cheeseman
15th September 2014
- "Our week of climbing in Calpe was perfect! We learnt so much about safety, climbing technique and gear. I must say mostly it was because of our amazing instructors Trevor and Dees. We had so many choices and good suggestions of what to do each day. "S. Friberg
26th August 2014
- "The guides were absolutely fantastic."R. Drinkwater
25th August 2014
- "All round great 2 days - Trevor is an excellent teacher and we learnt loads. Had a good laugh and would thoroughly recommend rock and sun to anyone."D. Bywaters
8th August 2014
- "I had a thoroughly enjoyable two days of climbing with Trevor in quarries near Chepstow and limestone crags near Bristol. We packed a lot in and I learnt a lot - belaying technique, how to use trad climbing equipment, multi-pitch trad climbing, abseiling."C. Finucane
8th July 2014
- "I did the women only holiday with Jude Spancken last year in the Costa Blanca. Jude was fantastic, she worked so hard to ensure that we all got the most out of the week. I often think about that week, so I'm very tempted by the Orpierre week at the end of"G. Willgoss
17th June 2014
- "Thanks for a fantastic day's climbing today, and an intro to some great looking crags! Trevor clearly has great expertise both in the area, and in climbing coaching. I will be back for sure and will definitely recommend you to anyone in the meantime."S. Robertson
21st May 2014
- "I just wanted to add that the quality of instruction was actually more than excellent! I learned loads of things that were very empowering and challenging, while always feeling very safe and in a friendly atmosphere. "Ms L. Houd
11th May 2014
- "The ease of booking, jumping on a plane and arriving in El chorro made this a wonderful week away! Thanks Tony also for being a great host, with his friendly, easy going manner."N. Anderson
3rd May 2014
- "Awesome course! I'd just like to thank you for the coaching. Did my first 6c+ the other day!"C. Jansson
31st March 2014