Rock & Sun trip #5 I believe This time was slightly different. A structured weeklong course purely on performance coaching. Working on choosing a route, analysing from the ground and then actually climbing it as efficiently as possible. I initially contacted Trev for help on a trip to Thai...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "I had an amazing time! Sam and Amber made this trip fun, full of very detailed and yet easy to follow instructions on improving my technique. I would recommend Sam and Amber as well as Rock and Sun to anybody who is planning to spend a weekend in Fontaine"Anaida C.
12th September 2016
- "An amazing experience from start to finish! Trev and Kiera were both amazing instructors and both great fun! I learned so much in one week and grew in confidence as a climber, all thanks to the first class instruction! Thank you so much, Rock and Sun! I c"Julie L.
5th September 2016
- "Sam and Amber were truly great, especially with our son. They showed patience and encouragement towards him. They made sure we visited lots of different locations that enabled all members of the party to climb irrespective of capability. Furthermore, Sam "Reagan B.
2nd September 2016
- "Sergi, our instructor for the holiday, was an excellent teacher and a great guy to hang out with during the evenings after bouldering. (Bouldering Week, Albarracin)"Finley H.
24th August 2016
- "Oh you always make me run out of superlatives. (The positive ones). As super extreme crazy good as always. I love everything about Rock and Sun. Also a huge thanks to everyone who rooted for Sweden in the football, despite belonging to team GB/Dutch team."Anna G.
22nd August 2016
- "This was my second time in Calpe, and third with Rock & Sun and once again it more than lived up to my expectations. The whole team (or those that I have dealt with so far) have all been very friendly, helpful and full of knowledge. (Sport Climbing Holida"Mark W.
22nd August 2016
- "So happy with my experience! The location, instructor and group all made for a wonderful time. I will definitely be booking again with you! (Intro Rock Climbing Weekend, Wye Valley)"Karen G.
15th August 2016
- "I thoroughly enjoyed my first ever experience at climbing. I was a bit apprehensive at even going on the course as I have never attempted or even know technical terms to climbing! But Will put us at ease and catered for everybody's abilities. I didn't fee"Ria C.
15th August 2016
- "I loved every second of this holiday. Found it a great experience especially as it was my first time climbing outdoors. It has now inspired me to become an instructor. The crags we went to were great and we were very well looked after and we all climbed b"Ben A.
14th August 2016
- "The trip surpassed my expectations . Dees was an exceptional instructor who amazingly tailored the trip to suit each individual despite our needs, preferences and grade of climbing differing vastly. Her detail to safety was top notch. Thank you very much "Renette C.
8th August 2016