Instead of having to write anything ourselves about our lovely latest Rock and Sun Bouldering Trip, Nate and Terra have done a much better job for us. Here's their account of their's and Mathias's time with us in Fontainebleau. http://joyadventuring.com/2016/10/17/when-a-problem-is-a-good-thing-...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Sam and Amber were fantastic guides. It was two days with rain, but we went inside to climb one of the days so I could get some expertise tips even there. Saturday and Sunday was sunny and really good with many hours of bouldering and really good advice a"Mathias Z.
20th October 2016
- "Kalymnos was a wonderful holiday venue. I'm so grateful for the expert coaching that will get my outdoor climbing back on a path to efficiency. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Kalymnos)"Rick R.
18th October 2016
- "Trevor did a great job. We wanted to wait with giving feedback until we had a chance to try our "home-crags" to see if we improved... and we did, easily 2-3 grades! Many thanks! (Performance Coaching, Costa Blanca)"Maren S.
17th October 2016
- "This was my 4th time as a solo female traveller with Rock and Sun and another great week, lovely supportive group and helpful understanding instructor. Thanks to Sergio for a particularly brilliant day slab climbing, definitely my highlight. It was my 3rd"Gillian W.
11th October 2016
- "We had such a fantastic trip! Trev and Sergio were absolutely brilliant. They knew exactly when each crag would be in the shade and where the good lunch spots were. All this in addition to being amazing coaches. They even knew how to help Luke and Russell"Lauren K.
10th October 2016
- "Had an excellent time and Amber and Sam were fantastic in accommodating everyone's skill levels and wishes as well as explaining all about Fontainebleau bouldering and techniques clearly. Skin left on fingertips seemed to be the main barrier to bouldering"Joe M.
27th September 2016
- "The instructors made learning fun and climbing feel easy. It was both a super-energetic and super-relaxing holiday. Really special, and great fun. I can't wait to go back. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca) "Polly A.
19th September 2016
- "I had an amazing time! Sam and Amber made this trip fun, full of very detailed and yet easy to follow instructions on improving my technique. I would recommend Sam and Amber as well as Rock and Sun to anybody who is planning to spend a weekend in Fontaine"Anaida C.
12th September 2016
- "An amazing experience from start to finish! Trev and Kiera were both amazing instructors and both great fun! I learned so much in one week and grew in confidence as a climber, all thanks to the first class instruction! Thank you so much, Rock and Sun! I c"Julie L.
5th September 2016
- "Sam and Amber were truly great, especially with our son. They showed patience and encouragement towards him. They made sure we visited lots of different locations that enabled all members of the party to climb irrespective of capability. Furthermore, Sam "Reagan B.
2nd September 2016