Rock & Sun trip #5 I believe This time was slightly different. A structured weeklong course purely on performance coaching. Working on choosing a route, analysing from the ground and then actually climbing it as efficiently as possible. I initially contacted Trev for help on a trip to Thai...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "My week of climbing in Calpe, Spain was amazing. My accommodations, private instruction and quality of climbing routes were perfect. Trevor, Desiree and Sergi made my climbing holiday a dream come true, and I highly recommend Rock & Sun to anyone seeking "James F.
29th July 2016
- "We recently were part of a Costa Blanca trip. It dramatically exceeded the top end of our range of expectations. Location was gorgeous, villa was nice and we met a good group of people who we have since promised to climb with back in Britain. We had Trevo"Robbie & Steven G.
25th July 2016
- "Had a lovely time with Tony. Having only two of us was great. Tony changed the content to suit us. We did a couple of routes lead climbing each, and had a good variety of routes and levels. Tony was quite a hands-off instructor, commenting with things her"Sam M.
18th July 2016
- "I enjoyed the week a lot and it is just now that I am back that I realize how much I have improved in this time – I climbed my first ever 6c on my first visit in the climbing gym. I really would like to come back and do some more climbing with you. (Spo"Simon G.
13th July 2016
- "Had a great time! Trevor and Desiree were really nice, the place is beautiful, and I really enjoyed the climbing. Will certainly recommend you to anyone who asks. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Sam B.
12th July 2016
- "Tony is a great instructor. We all had a great time but setting up climbs took a little time and meant that the children got distracted. Maybe it would be good to keep the children occupied by giving them tasks to complete or games to play during those ti"Ilona H.
10th July 2016
- "Just settling back into normal life after a fantastic holiday and wanted to let you know how pleased I was with Rock and Sun. Lesley and Trevor were super helpful beforehand when I was emailing with lots of random/panicky questions putting my mind at rest"Lucy B.
6th July 2016
- "The climbing was great and there were routes suitable for the range of abilities in our group. Also, Sergio was an amazing coach / guide. Very friendly, helpful and patient, and great company too. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Costa Blanca)"Craig D.
28th June 2016
- "The whole weekend was super fun with lots of great climbing and tips on safety through to climbing techniques and even down what to look for in a pair of good quality climbing shoes. Trev and Desiree were exuded warmth and looked after every aspect of our"Estelle P.
21st June 2016
- "The course was good but quite expensive for our budget. We're keen to go on more courses but probably won't because of price. The second site was much better. If we had gone back to the first place in the second day we would've liked it a lot less. We rea"Evelina M.
20th June 2016