All of Rock & Sun's sport climbing holidays in Thailand start on a beautiful and remote island called Lao Liang. Because we think it is a true paradise. And we're not the only ones! Watch this: Lao Liang - The Last Climbing Paradise (Carlos Quiles Photography & Film) And this: Ode to ...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Just would like to say thankyou to Trevor and Desiree. Had fantastic coaching. Trevor's attention to safety is second to none. Great crowd, great week!!"H. Bansi
23rd October 2014
- "Best holiday ever. Trevor and Desiree were brilliant. Everything was perfect. The quality of coaching was excellent and the level it was pitched at as was just right for me. The accommodation was clean and comfortable. The organisation for travel and shop"L. Cockle
20th October 2014
- "Andy was an excellent instructor who instilled confidence from the off. I achieved way more than I thought possible through his gentle persuasion and confident guidance. A really brilliant weekend."V. Stanley
20th October 2014
- "This was a wonderful experience. Orpierre is a climbers paradise, and one I hope to visit again and again. Jude was terrific, she catered brilliantly for the range of ability and ambition within the group and we all went home better climbers. "G. Cocking
14th October 2014
- "This is an amazing location with some great and challenging climbing. I hope that there will be more climbing holidays in this region in the future. I will certainly be signing up again."C. Dunn
13th October 2014
- "Trevor and Des make an excellent team. Always felt safe and the day was pitched perfectly for my climbing level. Was also provided some great pictures to remember an excellent day out. Got me really thinking about a weeks course at some point."D. Walker
6th October 2014
- "This holiday was amazing we had a great time and learned a lot. Both me and my brother were challenged to push ourselves harder and further. Your instructors were really welcoming and helpful, we would definitely go again and we are planning our next trip"P. & D. Dunhue
24th September 2014
- "I had not climbed outside for a year, Trevor and Desiree were very good, managed me very well, great coaching and encouragement, it was climbing therapy! Like having a great big p...! I am inspired again loved it, beautiful place last day, thank you Lesle"K. Thornton
23rd September 2014
- "My third trip with Rock and Sun and still can't be faulted! Already trying to decide which trip to do next, see you again soon!"N. Cheeseman
15th September 2014
- "Our week of climbing in Calpe was perfect! We learnt so much about safety, climbing technique and gear. I must say mostly it was because of our amazing instructors Trevor and Dees. We had so many choices and good suggestions of what to do each day. "S. Friberg
26th August 2014