published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Great trip and really good instruction. Sometimes there wasn't enough hot water to go around for showers at the Gite but that's the only minor thing that occurs to mind. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Orpierre)"Danny B.
30th September 2015
- "I had a fantastic holiday climbing in the south of France. The weather was perfect, the area is beautiful and I had a great group of people to climb with. The instructor, Jude, was patient, an excellent teacher and brimming with enthusiasm for her sport. "Maeve B.
28th September 2015
- "It was my first experience with rock climbing but I had an amazing time and fell in love with climbing. Thank you so much. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Magdalena S.
27th September 2015
- "I learnt a lot on this course. Very thorough and detailed knowledge from an excellent instructor. (Learn to Lead Trad - Wye Valley)"Martin H.
16th September 2015
- "Thank you for an amazing couple of days - exhilarating, exhausting, exciting and sometimes terrifying (!) in equal parts but also ultimately satisfying and have not been able to get the thought of climbing again out of my mind. I learned so much in two da"Judy A.
12th September 2015
- "Thank you so much for such an amazing holiday. We learnt loads, felt safe and had lots of fun. The main thing for me was gaining more confidence when climbing heights. We are both looking forward to another holiday with Rock and Sun. (Sport Climbing Holid"Sarah R.
8th September 2015
- "We had some lovely sunshine on our first day learning to lead in the Wye Valley! Ali's first challenge for us was perhaps a little tricky, which didn't feel like the best start to the day. However, after that the instruction was great - Ali took us throug"Kate H.
4th September 2015
- "Justin was great. Me and the kids really enjoyed our day and are planning another one soon! (Private guiding - Portland)"Tom S.
3rd September 2015
- "Trevor and Dees provided the best instruction - I loved the whole trip and am looking forward to my next trip. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Sarah C.
2nd September 2015
- "Thank you for our lovely week. We crushed and rocked our way up those rocks, learnt loads and had far more fun than two middle-aged women should! We are going to start saving for Thailand 2016, and hopefully something before that. A big THANK YOU from us "Sarah R.
29th August 2015