The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here. With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses.
- "big thank you for organising the holiday for us. I had a fantastic time, had a lovely group and a super guide"M Theisen
18th May 2013
- "This was an extremely handy course for me to have done, covering all the areas I wanted."G Higginson
5th May 2013
- " I would say Rock and Sun is excellent. Many thanks to all for a top week,"Jon
4th May 2013
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011
- "Great holiday all round! I was concerned about going on my own but had the time of my life! Bring on 2012..."Lilly Alders
30th September 2011