https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Best climbing ever, most beautiful places and top class instructors. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Thailand)"Ben M.
22nd February 2017
- "An amazing holiday/Journey through Thailand with Rock and Sun, the climbing is world class, Lao Liang Is A touch of paradise, the Island life is perfect. Sleeping on the beach and waking up to some epic climbing is just what you need after working hard in"Ben A.
17th January 2017
- "Great climbing holiday across the festive period. Nige and Fran were very helpful and friendly at the villa, and their friends visiting for New Year's holidays also very much contributed to the festive and warm atmosphere. Villa is in an excellent locatio"Mauro F.
9th January 2017
- "Excellent holiday. The island part of the holiday was really something special and a unique experience. The choice of climbing was excellent, not spending too much time on the obvious and overcrowded/noisy crags. Also really enjoyed the company of Trevor "Heath D.
14th December 2016
- "Everyone was very friendly and helpful but Sergio was a brilliant teacher and thanks to him I learnt so much. I will definitely be coming again in the new year! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"James P.
11th December 2016
- "Good accommodation where the stove was always lit on our return from climbing. Guides (Stu and Sergio) were great and geared advice to your level. Sergio seemed to put in an extra effort and kept climbing until sunset as we missed half a day due to rain t"William N.
5th December 2016
- "The villa was immaculate. Sergio was a superb instructor and I took away plenty of tips and exercises to work on at home to keep on improving my climbing. (Performance Coaching Level 3, Costa Blanca)"Vicky D.
28th November 2016
- "Fran and Nige were fantastic and the villa was beautiful. A suggestion could be to provide clients with takeaway menus or chargeable alcohol in the mini bar. The villa is so cosy that it is hard sometimes to go out for food! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa "Rushmi K.
26th November 2016
- "Got exactly what I wanted as well as a nice break in a stunning valley. Now I have something to work on with the climbing and intend to come back soon. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Gary P.
22nd November 2016
- "Brilliant, patient and encouraging instructor (Sergio), welcoming, friendly and warm villa hosts (Nige and Fran). Beautiful surroundings, great climbing locations and delicious food! Loved loved loved it!!!! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Solvita V.
22nd November 2016