I've just returned from a truly memorable trip with Trevor and Dees in Thailand and just wanted to say that if you're thinking of booking this trip, stop thinking and just book it. It's hard to know where to begin - you probably have heard enough about Thailand to know it's a stunning beautiful p...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "Michael was great. He really knew the area, and was able to select climbing areas and routes well suited to my ability. He also managed to time our arrivals at the various walls in time for us to climb before the crowds arrived. We almost always were alon"Laura M.
26th March 2015
- "Altogether the best fun I have had climbing in years. The skills and approach to instruction and customer safety are exemplary. I have found myself recommending Rock & Sun whenever the opportunity arises! The best of luck to Trevor and Desiree in their ne"Adrian B.
1st March 2015
- "I've not long returned from three weeks in Thailand. I'm quite well travelled globally on the climbing circuit and never been on a 'climbing holiday' such as that offered by Rock and Sun. All the fun and adventure with none of the faff and hassle. 3 weeks"Sol F.
19th February 2015
- "I learned so much from Trevor and D, I can't thank them enough for taking the time to guide me through and actually do my first lead as well! It was also an easy social scene and there was time to explore the beautiful area around Railay and Ao Nang. All "Helen R.
19th January 2015
- "This was my first holiday with Rock and Sun and it couldn't have gone better really. From quick responses when making booking enquiries to Nigel and Fran making sure I settled in at the accommodation. The instructor Henry was enthusiastic and listened to "S. Freeman
21st November 2014
- "The BEST holiday ever. Awesome and excellent holiday. Can not fault it at all, FANTASTIC!!!! :) (Morocco)"R. Bateman
3rd November 2014
- "Trevor did an amazing job as our guide for the week. He was friendly, professional, and made the climbing experience great for us. As a result of our experience with Trevor, we are planning on signing up for the climbing holiday in Thailand in 2015. Thank"A. Molskness
29th October 2014
- "A big thank you to Trevor for 3 days excellent coaching and trad climbing instruction; a great confidence builder for us both. (Private guiding)"D. Halliwell
24th October 2014
- "Just would like to say thankyou to Trevor and Desiree. Had fantastic coaching. Trevor's attention to safety is second to none. Great crowd, great week!!"H. Bansi
23rd October 2014
- "Best holiday ever. Trevor and Desiree were brilliant. Everything was perfect. The quality of coaching was excellent and the level it was pitched at as was just right for me. The accommodation was clean and comfortable. The organisation for travel and shop"L. Cockle
20th October 2014