published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Our customers say
Rock Climbing in Portland
The scenic Isle of Portland is the sport climbing mecca of South West England - renowned for its wealth of excellent quality single pitch sport climbing. Over 900 routes of varying difficulty along its majestic white cliffs mean you can look forward to variety and spectacular views when you climb here
With few overhangs, Portland's World Heritage limestone cliffs are a great place for mastering climbing at the easier grades - as well as some advanced climbing. One popular, more novice crag is The Cuttings; other exciting climbs include such routes as Arc Angle and Definately Maybe.
Although the majority of climbs are steep they suit most abilities, from lower grades to plenty of 8 grade (and above) climbs - many of which are bolted with good stainless resin anchors. Almost all sport rock climbing is on single pitch routes up to 30m. The cliffs are either right on the sea edge or set back 50-100m with boulder fields separating them from the sea. In some cases, the boulders are so big that there are 20m bolted sport routes up them!
Access and Accommodation in Portland
You'll find convenient access points from Weymouth, easy parking and lots of good accommodation choices (which Rock & Sun can recommend). There's a really friendly feel to the whole place... it's an extremely sociable climbing area.
It's also an interesting location. Portland Harbour, in the bay between Portland and Weymouth, is one of the largest man-made harbours in the world. It has a rich Naval history: from its inception as a Royal Navy base and its prominent roles during both World Wars, with Royal Navy and NATO ships using its waters until 1995. The harbour is now a civilian port and will host sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
Look below for upcoming Portland holidays and courses. If you don't see what your looking for then get in touch and we can put a course on for you!!
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
Our customers say
- "This was one of the best week´s climbing I have had thanks to Trevor´s expertise and planning. We did 29 pitches over 5 days, the pinnacle being an 8 pitch ascent of the Penon. Trevor was a wonderful guide and climbing companion and taught this old dog"Shane C.
15th April 2016
- "Great day climbing outdoors! Fantastic! (Private guiding, Costa Blanca) "Harry C.
9th April 2016
- "Together, Lesley, Trevor and Desiree you are a perfect team. Thank you very much. (Bouldering trip - Fontainebleau)"James M.
15th March 2016
- "Had a wonderful time and was made to feel very welcome. Great instructors. Really helped with overcoming my fear of heights. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Fiona B.
7th March 2016
- "What an amazing week. Great climbing in a new environment. Lots of challenges each day and lots of fun trying new and harder stuff. Thanks so much for your instruction and organisation during the trip. (Sport climbing holiday - Thailand)"Lizi N.
24th February 2016
- "I have had two great days with Sergio. The first day was aimed at learning new skills and the second to climb a nice sea view multi-pitch route. I am very satisfied and I will keep in touch later on this summer when I return to Costa Blanca. Sergio was a "Carl L.
19th February 2016
- "I loved my trip to Spain. What an incredible place to just visit, let alone climb. However, what I will always remember is the kindness and skill of Trevor and Desiree. Iv'e had some pretty good guides in my life, but none have been able to simultaneously"Sam E.
12th February 2016
- "Awesome holiday. Trev and Dees were great guides, giving us helpful pointers. I really felt I learnt to become a better climber which was the main goal. They also really looked after us off the rocks, taking us to some great restaurants and giving us a fe"Patrick & Daimon D.
6th February 2016
- "A perfect holiday in Thailand with you guys. Wonderful climbing, wonderful people. Thank you so much Trev and Dees (and Kiera!). (Sport climbing holiday - Thailand)"Kine H.
3rd February 2016
- "What a tremendous experience! Everything worked out so well - the climbing was wonderful and challenging, and I learned quite a bit. Dees and Trev are terrific. The week was filled with ah ha moments, not all comfortable, but that's sometimes the best way"Deb F.
23rd January 2016