The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
Celebrated as the UK 'climbing capital', the Peak District's climbing wealth is steeped in a history and tradition of classic British rock climbing. Its gritstone escarpments host famous areas which all have classic routes, from the ideal beginner's climb to modern test pieces. In fact, the Peak has a wide range of crags both large and small with well over 10,000 recorded climbs.
Around the moors above Hathersage there is a concentration of gritstone crags of which Stanage is pre-eminent, with a complete range of climbs. Further south, Higgar Tor, Burbage Edge and Millstone Edge provide generally hard and strenuous routes, while Froggatt Edge is both more sheltered and rather easier. Continuing southwards along the Derwent valley, Curbar Edge is more similar to Millstone while Baslow and Birchens Edges are relatively easy. Gardoms Edge is different again, green and wooded, with a range of routes of varying standards.
Look below for upcoming Peak District holidays and courses.
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011
- "Great holiday all round! I was concerned about going on my own but had the time of my life! Bring on 2012..."Lilly Alders
30th September 2011
- "David was an excellent instructor, and made each day enjoyable and informative - and the little treat at the end of each day was a real bonus!"Marcus Tailor
13th September 2011
- "All the food throughout the week was brilliant, the cliffs and the routes were sometimes challenging but always rewarding and overall it was a fantastic week for everyone involved (and I have a killer sun tan!)."David Mudge
18th August 2011
- "Thoroughly enjoyed the course and I felt I learnt a lot and my climbing skills have improved. Dave is an amazing instructor and has really taught me so much."Amy Cockle
23rd July 2011
Peak District 25th May - 26th MayThis 2 day course covers the basic skills of lead climbing traditional routes, concentrating on placing protection.
All climbing equipment is provided and the maximum client : instructor ratio is 1:3 to maximise your development.
per personMore Info
Peak District 29th Jun - 30th JunThis is the perfect way to lean all the essential basics of rock climbing in a fun and exciting way.
5 days instructed climbing (2 days if UK) |7 night's shared accommodation (Rooms 2:1 max) - (N/A if UK) | Airport transfers (N/A if UK) | All transport to crags | All equipment
per personMore Info