https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Malta is the latest addition to Rock & Sun's climbing destinations. It is a top destination for rock climbing holidays, mainly because of its unpolished limestone rock, peaceful and quiet crags, warm climate, blue, tideless seas and its picturesque landscapes. Come out with us and enjoy it before the rest of the world discovers this unique climbing gem!
Rock climbing in Malta
Rock climbing in Malta and Gozo was started by the British forces stationed on the island as far back as 1944! In the 60s and 70s a host of new routes were established by the Royal Marine Commandoes stationed on the island. Routes continued to go up throughout the 80s and 90s including the iconic 'Motorcycle Route' called Motorphycho. In 1996 one of our guides, Andrew Warrington, established the Malta Rock Climbing Club (MRCC). In 2005 he set up the MTA-MRCC Bolting Project which was the first large scale project to install sport routes on the islands. Since then the sport has grown rapidly and today there are 650 sport routes across the grade range from 4b – 8c. The local climbing community work with a passion to establish and maintain these routes and added a profusion of new ones.
The Maltese islands now offer a good mixture of sports and traditional rock climbing on the great quality coralline limestone rock outcrops where most of the climbs are established. With over 65% of Malta’s coastline consisting of cliffs and rocky inlets, the potential for climbing is huge. The comprehensive mix of grades on both single and multi-pitch routes at the rugged coastline, on inland valleys, caves and ridges provide some spectacular views! Surprisingly the crags on Malta are very quiet as there are few local climbers - there's virtually no polish and no waiting at the crags...for now. Come out with us and enjoy it before the rest of the world discovers this unique climbing gem!
Weather & Climate in Malta
The Maltese Islands consist of 3 inhabited islands, Malta, Gozo and Comino. The last stop between North Africa and Sicily, these islands are the most southerly European country, making Malta an ideal year round rock venue. The ideal time to visit is from October through to June as the summer can be uncomfortably hot, particularly on the south facing cliffs.
Accommodation in Malta
Your accommodation will be self catering, based in a spacious, 3-storey villa with swimming pool just outside St. Julian’s. You will be sharing the villa with like minded people, all out to explore the adventurous side of the Maltese islands.
The atmosphere here is relaxed, comfortable and welcoming. Rooms are bright and well finished, most with ensuite facilities, some with air conditioning. The communal areas are a great place to meet and there is plenty of space to chill, both inside and out. The villa is within 10 minutes walking distance of the nearest beach and centre of entertainment.
Kit list for your climbing trip to Malta
For this rock climbing holiday we recommend that you have your own:Harness
Dick's Climbing is a dedicated climbing shop that offers a large range of climbing equipment and shoes at good prices.
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
If booking online with less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "Amber and Sam have a great knowledge of Fontainebleau. They were super friendly and struck the right balance between stretching comfort zones and low stress ingraining of good habits. Would heartily recommend. (Bouldering Trip, Fontainebleau)"Laurence B.
19th April 2017
- "I had a great time and learnt loads! Robyn is a AMAZING instructor! I got everything I wanted from this course and more, fun, easy instruction and lots of climbing that left me feeling confident with what Robyn taught me. Really can't word how impressed i"Nick H.
19th April 2017
- "Fantastic tuition and locations for climbing, beautiful cottage to stay in surrounded by mountains and lemon trees. It's something which can be tailored to suit any level of climber, and as my first active-based holiday - it has me hooked! 100% would reco"Robyn B.
10th April 2017
- "Great villa in Parcent. Gorgeous location. Lovely walks too. Brilliant instructors. Fabulous group of people. Thank you :)"Fiona B.
10th April 2017
- "Sam and Amber were excellent coaches, and I had a great time with them. Both were reeeeally nice, smart, pleasant company, and I felt that they really wanted to make my trip a great one and took care of me better than could have been expected. Unfortunate"Sini N.
21st March 2017
- "Thank you very much for the great time I had last week: the organisation, the accommodation, and the climbing were absolute fantastic. I'm already planning another climbing holiday with Rock & Sun. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Costa Blanca)"Luigi S.
6th March 2017
- "Thanks for an great couple of days climbing some awesome climbs! I had a great time climbing with Sergio! Amazing 2 days -hopefully I'll get time later in the year to do some more climbing with yourselves! Thank you for sorting it at such short notice."Paul H.
2nd March 2017
- "I am so happy with my climbing experience. Justin was perfect. The best climbing ever. I will for sure come back to Rock and Sun and i will recommend you to other people. (Private Guiding, Costa Blanca)"Marianne L.
1st March 2017
- "Best climbing ever, most beautiful places and top class instructors. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Thailand)"Ben M.
22nd February 2017
- "An amazing holiday/Journey through Thailand with Rock and Sun, the climbing is world class, Lao Liang Is A touch of paradise, the Island life is perfect. Sleeping on the beach and waking up to some epic climbing is just what you need after working hard in"Ben A.
17th January 2017