https://www.theclimbingacademy.com/blog/bristol/rock-and-sun-costa-blanca/ In September, our social media guy Dan was invited to Costa Blanca to experience a Rock & Sun holiday first hand. Here's the story of his trip, from the routes he climbed to the lessons he picked up on the way. By Dan...Read more
- Our customers say
Malta is the latest addition to Rock & Sun's climbing destinations. It is a top destination for rock climbing holidays, mainly because of its unpolished limestone rock, peaceful and quiet crags, warm climate, blue, tideless seas and its picturesque landscapes. Come out with us and enjoy it before the rest of the world discovers this unique climbing gem!
Rock climbing in Malta
Rock climbing in Malta and Gozo was started by the British forces stationed on the island as far back as 1944! In the 60s and 70s a host of new routes were established by the Royal Marine Commandoes stationed on the island. Routes continued to go up throughout the 80s and 90s including the iconic 'Motorcycle Route' called Motorphycho. In 1996 one of our guides, Andrew Warrington, established the Malta Rock Climbing Club (MRCC). In 2005 he set up the MTA-MRCC Bolting Project which was the first large scale project to install sport routes on the islands. Since then the sport has grown rapidly and today there are 650 sport routes across the grade range from 4b – 8c. The local climbing community work with a passion to establish and maintain these routes and added a profusion of new ones.
The Maltese islands now offer a good mixture of sports and traditional rock climbing on the great quality coralline limestone rock outcrops where most of the climbs are established. With over 65% of Malta’s coastline consisting of cliffs and rocky inlets, the potential for climbing is huge. The comprehensive mix of grades on both single and multi-pitch routes at the rugged coastline, on inland valleys, caves and ridges provide some spectacular views! Surprisingly the crags on Malta are very quiet as there are few local climbers - there's virtually no polish and no waiting at the crags...for now. Come out with us and enjoy it before the rest of the world discovers this unique climbing gem!
Weather & Climate in Malta
The Maltese Islands consist of 3 inhabited islands, Malta, Gozo and Comino. The last stop between North Africa and Sicily, these islands are the most southerly European country, making Malta an ideal year round rock venue. The ideal time to visit is from October through to June as the summer can be uncomfortably hot, particularly on the south facing cliffs.
Accommodation in Malta
Your accommodation will be self catering, based in a spacious, 3-storey villa with swimming pool just outside St. Julian’s. You will be sharing the villa with like minded people, all out to explore the adventurous side of the Maltese islands.
The atmosphere here is relaxed, comfortable and welcoming. Rooms are bright and well finished, most with ensuite facilities, some with air conditioning. The communal areas are a great place to meet and there is plenty of space to chill, both inside and out. The villa is within 10 minutes walking distance of the nearest beach and centre of entertainment.
Kit list for your climbing trip to Malta
For this rock climbing holiday we recommend that you have your own:Harness
Dick's Climbing is a dedicated climbing shop that offers a large range of climbing equipment and shoes at good prices.
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
Get in Touch with the dates you want!!
If booking online with less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "Best climbing ever, most beautiful places and top class instructors. (Sport Climbing Holiday, Thailand)"Ben M.
22nd February 2017
- "An amazing holiday/Journey through Thailand with Rock and Sun, the climbing is world class, Lao Liang Is A touch of paradise, the Island life is perfect. Sleeping on the beach and waking up to some epic climbing is just what you need after working hard in"Ben A.
17th January 2017
- "Great climbing holiday across the festive period. Nige and Fran were very helpful and friendly at the villa, and their friends visiting for New Year's holidays also very much contributed to the festive and warm atmosphere. Villa is in an excellent locatio"Mauro F.
9th January 2017
- "Excellent holiday. The island part of the holiday was really something special and a unique experience. The choice of climbing was excellent, not spending too much time on the obvious and overcrowded/noisy crags. Also really enjoyed the company of Trevor "Heath D.
14th December 2016
- "Everyone was very friendly and helpful but Sergio was a brilliant teacher and thanks to him I learnt so much. I will definitely be coming again in the new year! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"James P.
11th December 2016
- "Good accommodation where the stove was always lit on our return from climbing. Guides (Stu and Sergio) were great and geared advice to your level. Sergio seemed to put in an extra effort and kept climbing until sunset as we missed half a day due to rain t"William N.
5th December 2016
- "The villa was immaculate. Sergio was a superb instructor and I took away plenty of tips and exercises to work on at home to keep on improving my climbing. (Performance Coaching Level 3, Costa Blanca)"Vicky D.
28th November 2016
- "Fran and Nige were fantastic and the villa was beautiful. A suggestion could be to provide clients with takeaway menus or chargeable alcohol in the mini bar. The villa is so cosy that it is hard sometimes to go out for food! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa "Rushmi K.
26th November 2016
- "Got exactly what I wanted as well as a nice break in a stunning valley. Now I have something to work on with the climbing and intend to come back soon. (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Gary P.
22nd November 2016
- "Brilliant, patient and encouraging instructor (Sergio), welcoming, friendly and warm villa hosts (Nige and Fran). Beautiful surroundings, great climbing locations and delicious food! Loved loved loved it!!!! (Long Weekend Climbing, Costa Blanca)"Solvita V.
22nd November 2016