The VS Challenge - By Dave Talbot Here I am, up here-somewhere cold, somewhere in the Alps. God help me - we started at 2 am and now it's my lead on pitch 10 or 11, I am not sure. Doesn't matter anyway I am bloody stuck here, scratching around trying to find that solid feeling hook placement ...Read more
- Kit List
Sardinia, with its magnificent rocky interior and coastline, is the second largest island in the Mediterranean. Recent years have seen many fine crags develop across the island, with countless single and multi-pitch sport and traditional routes. We base our holidays in the beautiful Cala Gonone area to match the climbing.
Cala Gonone is still not that well discovered and most of the time you can find yourself on a very quiet crag - and within sight of fantastic Mediterranean views. There's also a canyon that offers a great playground for the more experienced climber seeking a new challenge. Climbs are easily accessible here and you never seem to be walking more than 5-10 minutes to find the start of the crag.
There is also the opportunity to take a boat to another climbing location a few kilometers along the coast that is well worth visiting. Simply ask one of the Rock & Sun team for more information on how to organise this experience.
Local people provide a welcome atmosphere, and there's some excellent Italian cuisine to enjoy.
Look below for upcoming holidays and courses in Sardinia.
Weather & Climate
The summer climate can be extremely hot, but the weather is often perfect for climbing in April and May - when there are also fewer tourists in the region.
We offer some well-equipped bungalows, conveniently located for the crags and within walking distance of Cala Gonone village with its small harbour and gorgeous beaches. Each bungalow can sleep a maximum of 4 people, and offers:
- Kitchen area with full cooking facilities
- Bedroom area
- Private porch to relax with a glass of wine at the end of a day's climbing
When to Go
April and May
One week (7nights): holidays and courses depart on Saturdays or Sundays
Long weekends (3 nights): Friday - Monday inclusive
- "big thank you for organising the holiday for us. I had a fantastic time, had a lovely group and a super guide"M Theisen
18th May 2013
- "This was an extremely handy course for me to have done, covering all the areas I wanted."G Higginson
5th May 2013
- " I would say Rock and Sun is excellent. Many thanks to all for a top week,"Jon
4th May 2013
- "Eddy was a fantastic instructor and has taught me much more than learning to lead, my technique has definitely improved too. Cheers guys. "Adam Finton
2nd June 2012
- "This was a great holiday and we had a really lovely time and we will come back to Rock & Sun again and again."Katie Lush
27th October 2011
- "David was fantastic - he worked hard to make us feel confident about our climbing. He made us all laugh and was a great, kind instructor and very intuitive about our moods! Thanks! "Sally North
27th October 2011
- "We felt very looked after from start to finish."Lucy Monk
25th October 2011
- "I couldn't have imagined such a beautiful place and to be guided up some of the most spectacular climbs to then look back over the other islands was just breathtaking. I'll be back again for more!"Paula Hurn
15th October 2011
- "Great booking process and climbing instruction was first class. This was my first holiday with you guys and I know we'll book again - great fun and hassle free."Philip Wadsworth
2nd October 2011
- "Great holiday all round! I was concerned about going on my own but had the time of my life! Bring on 2012..."Lilly Alders
30th September 2011