published by AWE365 August 26th 2015 Some climbing destinations offer once in a lifetime climbs. Others are known for their party scenes or stunning views. But we’ve decided to create an article of the 20 best rock climbing holiday destinations worldwide – for areas that tick all the climbin...Read more
- Kit List
- Our customers say
Sardinia, with its magnificent rocky interior and coastline, is the second largest island in the Mediterranean. The island's charms lie in its untamed natural beauty, a combination of rugged rural scenery and one of the most dramatic coastlines in the Mediterranean. Its landscapes are timeless, incorporating rough mountains, windswept plains, sun-scorched plateaus and thick forests, all fringed by the most extraordinary Caribbean-blue seas.
Rock Climbing in Sardinia
Sardinia's dramatic cliffs and gorges provide exhilarating and often challenging opportunities for rock climbers. There are many established sport climbing crags across the island, most of which are single pitch.
We base our holidays in the beautiful Cala Gonone area. Surrounded by the imposing grey peaks of Monte Tului (917m), Monte Bardia (882m) and Monte Irveri (616m), Cala Gonone enjoys an impressive setting. Since the 1930s it has developed from a tiny fishing port to an attractive tourist destination although development has been sensitive enough to ensure that Cala Gonone has retained its village atmosphere.
Cala Gonone has long been established as one of the main rock climbing areas in Sardinia and as such attracts many international visitors, yet most of the time you can find yourself at a very quiet crag. The single pitch sports routes in the Cala Gonone area, often with fantastic views on the Mediterranean Sea, offer many different styles from slabs, steep walls and fierce overhangs on hard limestone rock. Climbs are easily accessible - you never seem to be walking more than 5-10 minutes to find yourself at the crag.
In addition to this, there's a canyon that offers a great playground for the more experienced climber seeking a new challenge. Or take a boat to another climbing location a few kilometers further along the coast that is well worth visiting. Simply ask the Rock & Sun office or your Rock & Sun instructor for more information on how to organise this rock climbing experience.
Weather & Climate in Sardinia
Sardinia enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate with damp winters and hot summers. The fact that July and August are considered too hot for climbing, and winters often see rain and mist, makes that the best times to go rock climbing in Sardinia are late spring and early autumn. In April and May the flowers are out in full force and the landscape retains a rich green flush. In September and October the sea temperature is higher so that's the perfect time for a swim in the sea after climbing.
With its abundance of quality routes, cheap flights, and great climbing conditions in spring and autumn, it is easy to understand why rock climbing holidays in Sardinia have always been popular.
Accommodation in Sardinia
We offer some well-equipped bungalows, conveniently located for the crags and within walking distance of Cala Gonone village with its small harbour and gorgeous beaches. Each bungalow can sleep a maximum of 4 people, and offers:
- Kitchen area with full cooking facilities
- Bedroom area
- Private porch to relax with a glass of wine at the end of a day's climbing
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
If booking online with less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "I enjoyed every bit of the climbing holiday! Lesley was very helpful with the booking process, and also arranged an alternative pick-up location for me. The climbing in Costa Blanca was simply great, and we were spoiled with lots of different crags and ne"Gaute T.
24th November 2015
- "Had a great time!! Had loads of fun, climbed a lot and learned even more. (Long Weekend - Costa Blanca)"Pieter R.
23rd November 2015
- "A really enjoyable trip. The guides were incredibly knowledgeable and patient. (Long Weekend - Costa Blanca)"Harriet S.
20th November 2015
- "We really enjoyed our week in Calpe - just one day of rain but otherwise blue skies and warm sunshine, just what we were after in early November! Trevor and Dees tailored the climbing to suit our needs perfectly, giving great tips on technique and helping"Kate H.
15th November 2015
- "I had a great experience with great instruction and a really flexible booking process. Thank you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Anna G.
4th November 2015
- "Thank you for a great holiday. You guys were good company and worked so hard to get us all on the rock and climbing great routes in beautiful places. The additional coaching with Hazel was outstanding so thank you for giving us the opportunity to benefit "Joy O.
30th October 2015
- "The accommodation was really excellent, I had an entire apartment to myself which was great. The only thing that let it down a bit was there was no wifi. I would have paid extra for it if required, but there wasn't the option. But overall I had a great ti"Lynda H.
27th October 2015
- "Fantastic, Desiree and Paul were fun to be around and always positive. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Kyle G.
26th October 2015
- "Thanks everyone, had a great time. Hopefully see you soon for some more climbing. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Alex B.
25th October 2015
- "Thank you all. I had a super (!) awesome time and definitely want to do more climbing. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Kalymnos)"Lauren W.
25th October 2015