written by: Sol Fernandez - UpRaw A few days ago at my local indoor Climbing wall the Westway (http://sports.westway.org) which sometimes doubles up as a second home, someone shouted out: "Sol, you're Climbing like a girl!". Amazing! I had just been awarded the ultimate compliment. You see, I am...Read more
- Kit List
- Our customers say
Sardinia, with its magnificent rocky interior and coastline, is the second largest island in the Mediterranean. The island's charms lie in its untamed natural beauty, a combination of rugged rural scenery and one of the most dramatic coastlines in the Mediterranean. Its landscapes are timeless, incorporating rough mountains, windswept plains, sun-scorched plateaus and thick forests, all fringed by the most extraordinary Caribbean-blue seas.
Rock Climbing in Sardinia
Sardinia's dramatic cliffs and gorges provide exhilarating and often challenging opportunities for rock climbers. There are many established sport climbing crags across the island, most of which are single pitch.
We base our holidays in the beautiful Cala Gonone area. Surrounded by the imposing grey peaks of Monte Tului (917m), Monte Bardia (882m) and Monte Irveri (616m), Cala Gonone enjoys an impressive setting. Since the 1930s it has developed from a tiny fishing port to an attractive tourist destination although development has been sensitive enough to ensure that Cala Gonone has retained its village atmosphere.
Cala Gonone has long been established as one of the main rock climbing areas in Sardinia and as such attracts many international visitors, yet most of the time you can find yourself at a very quiet crag. The single pitch sports routes in the Cala Gonone area, often with fantastic views on the Mediterranean Sea, offer many different styles from slabs, steep walls and fierce overhangs on hard limestone rock. Climbs are easily accessible - you never seem to be walking more than 5-10 minutes to find yourself at the crag.
In addition to this, there's a canyon that offers a great playground for the more experienced climber seeking a new challenge. Or take a boat to another climbing location a few kilometers further along the coast that is well worth visiting. Simply ask the Rock & Sun office or your Rock & Sun instructor for more information on how to organise this rock climbing experience.
Weather & Climate in Sardinia
Sardinia enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate with damp winters and hot summers. The fact that July and August are considered too hot for climbing, and winters often see rain and mist, makes that the best times to go rock climbing in Sardinia are late spring and early autumn. In April and May the flowers are out in full force and the landscape retains a rich green flush. In September and October the sea temperature is higher so that's the perfect time for a swim in the sea after climbing.
With its abundance of quality routes, cheap flights, and great climbing conditions in spring and autumn, it is easy to understand why rock climbing holidays in Sardinia have always been popular.
Accommodation in Sardinia
We offer some well-equipped bungalows, conveniently located for the crags and within walking distance of Cala Gonone village with its small harbour and gorgeous beaches. Each bungalow can sleep a maximum of 4 people, and offers:
- Kitchen area with full cooking facilities
- Bedroom area
- Private porch to relax with a glass of wine at the end of a day's climbing
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
If booking online with less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "All the lads had a fantastic day out, so much so we are talking about organising another one very soon. As well as challenging ourselves we had great fun too. Would highly recommend this to others. (Taster Day - Peak District)"Dan O.
22nd June 2015
- "George was fantastic. His experience shone through and he was very formative and helpful. (Taster Day - Peak District)"John S.
22nd June 2015
- "It certainly was good value! I can’t believe how much climbing I managed to do over the weekend. Both Trevor and Desiree were amazing, they were extremely welcoming and generous with their time, equipment and food. I really was looked after by both of t"Lydia W.
16th June 2015
- "What an amazing vacation it was! I climbed incredible routes, made new friends, and had the best guides in Trevor Massiah and Desirée Verbeek. I can't wait for my next Rock and Sun adventure! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Robin R.
24th May 2015
- "Excellent instruction and local knowledge with a very friendly relaxed atmosphere. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Heath D.
20th May 2015
- "A thoroughly enjoyable holiday, thanks to the careful planning and thought that went into it from Trevor and Dees, and of course their excellent guidance. And because Lesley is so efficient and responsive, it was completely hassle-free and non-stressful. "Caroline F.
18th May 2015
- "Trev and Desiree are great guides! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Stewart R.
8th May 2015
- "Sergi was a great guide, he adapted well to our needs. The villa was lovely and everything was organised efficiently with no hassles. Overall an excellent trip. (Long Weekend Climbing - Costa Blanca)"Aleeza J.
5th May 2015
- "It was awesome to spend a week with Jude listening to her words of wisdom and advice and having the opportunity to watch her climb. I will take many things away with me to work on both mentally and physically. Really enjoyed the holiday and the climbing i"Vicky A.
29th April 2015
- "Very enjoyable holiday. Good range of climbing grades and quality rock and bolting. The accommodation was spacious, clean and comfortable. Jude was absolutely excellent and her gentle encouragement and infectious enthusiasm really made me push myself more"Ian M.
29th April 2015
Sardinia 03rd Oct - 10th OctClimb as many slabs, steep walls and overhangs as you like on Sardinia's high quality limestone rock.
Up to 6 days instruction and climbing coaching | 7 nights shared accommodation (Rooms 2:1 max) | Airport transfers | All transport to crags.
per personMore Info