Published in: Climb Magazine - July 2015 Written by: Sarah-Jane Dobner There was a campaign called 'Like a Girl' launched last year. The video featured women and men and boys doing activities 'like a girl' where they were floppy and pathetic and ineffective; this was contrasted with footage of a...Read more
- Kit List
- Our customers say
Sardinia, with its magnificent rocky interior and coastline, is the second largest island in the Mediterranean. The island's charms lie in its untamed natural beauty, a combination of rugged rural scenery and one of the most dramatic coastlines in the Mediterranean. Its landscapes are timeless, incorporating rough mountains, windswept plains, sun-scorched plateaus and thick forests, all fringed by the most extraordinary Caribbean-blue seas.
Rock Climbing in Sardinia
Sardinia's dramatic cliffs and gorges provide exhilarating and often challenging opportunities for rock climbers. There are many established sport climbing crags across the island, most of which are single pitch.
We base our holidays in the beautiful Cala Gonone area. Surrounded by the imposing grey peaks of Monte Tului (917m), Monte Bardia (882m) and Monte Irveri (616m), Cala Gonone enjoys an impressive setting. Since the 1930s it has developed from a tiny fishing port to an attractive tourist destination although development has been sensitive enough to ensure that Cala Gonone has retained its village atmosphere.
Cala Gonone has long been established as one of the main rock climbing areas in Sardinia and as such attracts many international visitors, yet most of the time you can find yourself at a very quiet crag. The single pitch sports routes in the Cala Gonone area, often with fantastic views on the Mediterranean Sea, offer many different styles from slabs, steep walls and fierce overhangs on hard limestone rock. Climbs are easily accessible - you never seem to be walking more than 5-10 minutes to find yourself at the crag.
In addition to this, there's a canyon that offers a great playground for the more experienced climber seeking a new challenge. Or take a boat to another climbing location a few kilometers further along the coast that is well worth visiting. Simply ask the Rock & Sun office or your Rock & Sun instructor for more information on how to organise this rock climbing experience.
Weather & Climate in Sardinia
Sardinia enjoys a mild Mediterranean climate with damp winters and hot summers. The fact that July and August are considered too hot for climbing, and winters often see rain and mist, makes that the best times to go rock climbing in Sardinia are late spring and early autumn. In April and May the flowers are out in full force and the landscape retains a rich green flush. In September and October the sea temperature is higher so that's the perfect time for a swim in the sea after climbing.
With its abundance of quality routes, cheap flights, and great climbing conditions in spring and autumn, it is easy to understand why rock climbing holidays in Sardinia have always been popular.
Accommodation in Sardinia
We offer some well-equipped bungalows, conveniently located for the crags and within walking distance of Cala Gonone village with its small harbour and gorgeous beaches. Each bungalow can sleep a maximum of 4 people, and offers:
- Kitchen area with full cooking facilities
- Bedroom area
- Private porch to relax with a glass of wine at the end of a day's climbing
Rock Climbing Travel Insurance
If booking online with less than 2 weeks before the holiday dates, then please speak to a member of the team first to check flight details. Many thanks the Rock and Sun team.
Our customers say
- "Justin was great. Me and the kids really enjoyed our day and are planning another one soon! (Private guiding - UK)"Tom S.
3rd September 2015
- "Trevor and Dees provided the best instruction - I loved the whole trip and am looking forward to my next trip. (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Sarah C.
2nd September 2015
- "I had a really great day today. I learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for such a good experience. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you! (Private Guiding - Costa Blanca)"Daniel F.
26th August 2015
- "Trevor and Desiree were fantastic instructors and good fun. I learnt so much about my climbing. I had a great trip - looking forward to booking another one soon! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Robbie N.
24th August 2015
- "Our group had a fantastic weekend with Justin as our instructor. He was able to gauge our abilities and preferences quickly and plan our days accordingly. We learned a lot; leading easier sport routes and toproping more challenging and longer routes. Just"Rachel C.
19th August 2015
- "Gilly & I have just spent the last 2 days in Pembroke being taught invaluable cliff rescue techniques by our good friend Trevor Massiah. Trev will be running these courses several times a year in Pembroke. Let's face it, most of us wouldn't have the faint"Charlie W.
7th August 2015
- "Tried to think of constructive criticism but struggled. Trevor and Desiree are very competent instructors, and were good company during my stay. Had a great time, very worth while trip! (Sport Climbing Holiday - Costa Blanca)"Euan M.
24th July 2015
- "An excellent holiday. The instruction was safe and detailed. Dees and Trevor took good care of me and I have never done so much climbing in a week before. The pool was a welcome relief after a hard session at the crag. The videos were really useful and it"Caroline H.
13th July 2015
- "George was fantastic. His experience shone through and he was very formative and helpful. (Taster Day - Peak District)"John S.
22nd June 2015
- "All the lads had a fantastic day out, so much so we are talking about organising another one very soon. As well as challenging ourselves we had great fun too. Would highly recommend this to others. (Taster Day - Peak District)"Dan O.
22nd June 2015
Sardinia 03rd Oct - 10th OctClimb as many slabs, steep walls and overhangs as you like on Sardinia's high quality limestone rock.
Up to 6 days instruction and climbing coaching | 7 nights shared accommodation (Rooms 2:1 max) | Airport transfers | All transport to crags.
per personMore Info